Operations Research Analyst / Data Scientist
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the position number listed below in the subject line.
Position Number: 004
Title: Operations Research Analyst / Data Scientist
Position Description: Support the test and evaluation of TSA security systems. Candidate will be responsible for leading the development of DHS acquisition/test and evaluation documentation and providing analytical expertise in the areas of test design, data collection, and data analysis. Candidate will be responsible for planning data collection, managing data as it is collected and transmitted from test sites, leading data authentication meetings, performing data analysis in accordance with test plans to determine operational effectiveness and suitability, and preparing reports that clearly articulate outcomes with supporting data. Candidate will interface regularly with government customers and should have excellent interpersonal and written skills. Additional duties listed below:
- Plan data collection activities, to include identifying metrics, data elements, sample sizes, sampling strategies, and work schedules for the test and evaluation of explosives detection equipment, passenger screening, and emerging/state-of-the-art transportation security systems.
- Write data collection plans and reports/briefings.
- Review performance data and work with data collection teams to improve data quality for cutting edge systems.
- Provide consulting support to the DHS acquisition/test and evaluation of TSA systems to include evaluation planning and designing effective tests in accordance with DHS and TSA policy.
- Facilitate customer meetings, including meetings with high profile DHS officials.
- Conduct statistical analyses, to include data visualization, descriptive statistics, and hypothesis testing.
- Manage databases and data file systems to support mission objectives.
- Produce data extracts for other analysts to use in various formats in support of data analysis and reporting.
- Program data collection forms for use in innovative transportation security systems.
- BS, Engineering/Computer Science, Operations Research, Math, or Related Field
- 2-10 years of experience, at least 2 in data analysis/statistics
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Experience with writing technical reports and briefings with significant analytical components, to include data presentation and visualization.
- Candidate must be able to obtain an interim secret security clearance, a full secret security clearance and successfully pass the Department of Homeland Security / Transportation Security Administration’s vetting process.
- MS, Engineering/Computer Science, Operations Research, Math, or Related Field.
- Experience using statistical software packages (e.g., MiniTab) or programming/scripting (e.g., R, Python, etc.
- Proficient in SQL Server
- Experience in large scale Test and Evaluation/Acquisition (e.g., working knowledge and experience developing one or more of the following documents: Test Concept Briefings, System Evaluation Plans, Operational Test Plans, System Evaluation Reports, and Test Readiness Reviews)
- Experience with systems engineering and acquisition in DHS (MD-102) and/or DoD (5000 series).
- Current DHS vetting
- Current Secret Clearance.
- Experience working in support of DHS or DOD.
Location: Northern Virginia/Telecommuting.
Travel: Up to 10% travel required in support of site visits.
Clearance: Secret clearance preferred. Ability to obtain a clearance at a minimum.
Black Diamond Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.